Friday, November 16, 2007

Red Carpet Massacre

I'll admit it...
I'm a recovering Duranee. There are no support groups for people like us, no 12 step programs. Only fan clubs and sub-cultures. Growing up in the early 80's Duran Duran were THE band to listen to and not surprisingly they are still considered to be icons of fashion, music and culture. Let's not forget that John Taylor's wife is the brains behind Juicy Couture, not to mention that most of the band members sickeningly married models, YUCK! And in their hay-day they were always on the cusp of the latest and greatest trends in hairstyle and clothing and of course, music.

I won't waste time reminiscing on days gone by and how as a pre-adolescent, pre-pubescent teen they influenced my every thought and decision. How at the age of 13, seeing them in concert, LIVE, IN THE FLESH at MSG caused an even greater addiction to them. I think many of you out there can relate, even those of you who are of the Justin Timberlake era can relate to what this is like. I digress....

I'll just mention that I recently fell off the bandwagon. Duran Duran just completed an unprecedented stint on broadway, playing 10 consecutive shows from Nov. 3 through Nov. 13th. Their gig started at the Ethel Barrymore theatre but their last 3 shows were re-scheduled due to local Union Strikes (writers strikes). These shows were moved to Roseland Ballroom. Needless to say seeing them perform was simply "AWESOME!" It didn't really matter what venue they played at or what night of the week it was. The fans ate them up. I would have gladly had Mr. Simon Le Bon for dessert. They debuted songs from their latest CD, entitled Red Carpet Massacre (released Nov. 13th). But they also played their classics like Rio, Hungry Like the Wolf and Save A Prayer showing that they still know what pleases their audience.

During the show I completely regressed into a screaming, frenzied teen. Embarrassing? Perhaps for my fiance, but well worth it for me. One night of un-controlled nuttiness! I can look back and tell my kids I saw them when I was 13 and again when I was 30 something. They still rock! The sad thing is that they are less one original band member, that being Andy Taylor (guitarist). He split from them recently for unknown reasons and will be publishing a book about Duran Duran soon. Can't wait to read the juicy details!

On another note, Sirius Satellite Radio is helping them kick off the release of their CD by allowing them to do a 3-day take over of the Super Shuffle (12) channel. Their Red Carpet Radio premiered on Nov. 13th at 12 pm, but you can still catch them till the 16th. Their program consists of a few band members hosting and highlighting some of their favortie albums and musicians who have influenced them. They'll also be playing some of their favorite songs from various eras including the British punk and post-punk era (Clash, Pistols, Damned). They play a wide variety of music but I mostly enjoyed listening to the post punk bands X-Ray Spex (The Day the World Turned Dayglo), The Only Ones (Another Girl, Another Planet), Richard Hell and the Voidoids (Blank Generation) but also some American classics like Blondie (RIp Her To Shreds).

I've had a good life!

Up coming appearances include:

  • American Music Awards, Sunday Nov. 18th from 8-11 on ABC
  • Ellen, Tuesday Nov. 20th
  • A&E Private Sessions, Nov. 25th, check local listings