Friday, February 26, 2010

No Excuses

The one bad thing about living in the city is that no matter how much snowfall we get, we can't call it a snow day and take off from work. Even if it snows for 3 days straight and the schools are closed in the tri-state area, NYC residents are beholden to show up for work because fortunately (or unfortunately, however you want to look at it) the streets do get plowed, though the sidewalks may not always be shoveled. In this economy however, I consider myself lucky to still have a job. The worst part of it is if you have a car parked at the curb, you'd have to dig it out of the snow and navigate ever so carefully along the slippery city roads, deal with parking garages, etc. and if you don't have a car in the city, your trek would be on foot and not much better. I feel bad for any pregnant woman who actually attempts to make it to work today.

This morning there were no buses to be seen, there was practically a waterfall from the accumulated precipitation in the subway closest to my home and the ceiling of the subway looked like it would come crashing in. The taxi I managed to get was practically missing it's front fender because earlier it had slid into a pole. As the driver pulled up to pick me up I pointed to the front of his car and mouthed, "should you be driving this?" He persistently nodded and waved me in, so I got it and made sure to tell him to drive carefully! I made it to work and realized that its eerily quiet in the halls and lobby. No surprise! Oh well, it's friday and I got paid. That's the only upside.