Friday, February 19, 2010

The Pizzacone???

So here's the story... I was walking on 5th avenue one day last week, coming from a bead supplier and I passed a corner storefront that was still undergoing renovations. The windows were covered with large signs that read, "K! pizzacone, Opening Soon!" "What the heck is a pizzacone?", I thought to myself.
Well... the picture above says it all!

I must admit that I'm curious while at the same time skeptical about how this tastes. Having come from a largely italian- american neighborhood in Brooklyn where there are pizza parlors on practically every other block (some of the best pizza's are from Brooklyn, by the way!) Having grown up with italian-americans as my best friends, eating a slice of pizza about twice a week after school with my friends in both grammar school and though high school, has left me with many memories of really good pizza. I remember how much the pizza guy near my house loved to see my mom when she would stop in for a pie on her way home from work, on those friday nights she didn't feel like cooking. I myself have made the home-made pizza, kneaded my own dough in the attempt to make a nice, tasty pizza the way I like it. But let's face it, sometimes you don't have time to wait for the dough to rise and you want that immediate satisfaction. Needless to say, having a good, neighborhood pizzeria is a very personal thing.

We all know that pizza now comes in many varieties- you can get a pizzabagel, pizzarolls, frenchbread pizza, pizza burgers, stuffed pizzas, so why not a cone. I'm open to new ideas. K! pizzacone say they use fresh ingredients and they even let you build your own. The basic build your own starts with mozzarella, then your choice of tomato or pesto sauce then a variety of veggies and meats to add on. They also have the standards like four cheese, mushroom and broccoli, etc. They also have some experimental pizzas like BBQ chicken and scrambled egg & ham breakfast pizza. So I wonder...how will the pizzacone stack up against the slice??? We have yet to taste and see!!!

Try it out yourself...
K! pizzacone is located at 325 Fifth Ave, btw 32nd and 33rd St; Midtown; 646.823.9318