Saturday, January 9, 2010

Winding Down


Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Relaxed is how I feel right now, all loosey goosey. For a whole year last year I had meant to go to the spa, but for one reason or another I never did. So this day was a year in the making and God was it worth it!!!

I planned on meeting a friend that I don't see that often at my favorite spa in the city. She was running about 20 minutes late which was fine because it gave me more time to sit in the lounge and relax. A note... when you're going to a day spa, try to give yourself enough time to get there without rushing so that you're not all stressed when you arrive. I got there about 30 minutes early. I went to the changing room, donned my white waffle robe and slippers, sat and relaxed before my session started. I booked a 60 minute signature massage for both myself and my friend. Elle magazine and ice water in hand I sat in the lounge and waited  for the maseusse to come get me. At one point I just put down the magazine and closed my eyes because after all the running around during the past holidays, it felt nice to be in a quiet place, reclining and by myself.

It was time! I walked into the candle lit room, it smelled of sweet fragrances and oils. I lay face down under the sheet in a comfortable position and closed my eyes and inhaled. When my session started I already knew the routine and was prepared for an hour of bliss. A key point is to inhale in between moments of pressure and each time the masseuse applies pressure on your back make sure to slowly exhale. If done right you'll hear little cracks in your back as your spine re-alligns. Be sure not to over think it and try to relax. Also make sure to let your masseuse know if you like more or less pressure as it is important that you enjoy your time.You'd be surprised how quickly 60 minutes goes by and it would be a shame to if you didn't get the most out of it. I knew my friend was probably in another room having her massage too.

After both our sessions were done, we met back in the darkened, candle lit lounge, ordered up some tuna sandwiches with a side salad, hot tea and freshly cut fruit. We chatted, laughed and caught up for another hour before we left. It was a great day! Now I'm off to the movies to see Avatar in 3D.