Tonights event which will take place at Macy's Herald Square will begin with a panel discussion comprised of members representing various sectors of retail, design, e-commerce, manufacturing and sourcing. Followed by a dinner and another discussion with city officials at each table who will take notes as executives serve up ideas. Several big name executives and designers are scheduled to attend.
According to WWD, along with preserving New York as the garment capital of America, other topics to be discussed include:
- Bolstering business in the boroughs and stimulating tourism by providing shopping coupons or even subsidizing airline tickets.
- Street vendors and quality of life issues
- Fashion's Night Out scheduled for Sept.10, which could include no-sales tax day and a fashion show for the general public
- How to shorten the buying cycle so stores cn sell more wear-now clothes and capture trends better.
- Technology including sustainability, the new media and mobile marketing
- Pop-up stores
We commend Mayor Bloomberg for recognizing the importance of this industry and for his efforts to support and maintain it!