Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Time to Dine
























































I've been really bad in the past year about trying out new places to dine and feast. I love food. Food and I go way back. We have a love hate relationship, but whatevs! I've been a slacker.

Years ago my trips around the city always included finding  new venues to hang out at, whether it be for food or drink or usually both. It was fun to walk around the East or West Village with my friends till we came across some hidden place that looked inviting.

This year one of the promises I've made to myself (along with working out more) is to try new places again. Get out and explore since I really do miss the old days. I'm giving myself 2 weeks and 3 venues to start, hopefully it will grow as time progresses.

Since I'll be out this thursday with a couple of galpals I'll try Bar Carerra (first photo), located at 2nd Ave. and 11th st. Though I'm a couple of years late in discovering this place, I'm still eager to try it after reading a little review of it on Feisty Foodie. It's a spanish wine bar within walking distance to Pangea and Momofuko Ssam Bar. They serve tapas, inspired by the Basque region of Spain. Pictured in the second photo is a plate of Smoked salmon on top of mascarpone spread on a mini brioche, topped with caviar and drizzled with honey. Below that is a picture of tiger shrimp and chorizo. My mouth is watering.

Another spot I'd like to try soon is Choptank, a seafood spot (last food shot from Choptank). Chef  Michael Schaefer of Le Bernardin and The Mermaid Inn is the feature chef. I just read the review on Daily Candy. It is located at 310 Bleeker St. @ GRove St. in the West Village. Some dishes include: peel ’n’ eat shrimp, fried chicken with black pepper honey and cabbage slaw, and pan-roasted striped bass with thick chips and malt vinegar.
YU-HUMMY! They also have a raw bar.

The third place will be an old favorite, Blue Ribbon Bakery, hopefully for lunch on Monday, Martin Luther King Day. Haven't been there in a while and it's about time.

Happy Eats!